- 4 lbs chicken bones (necks, backs, breast bones, wings, etc.)
- 6 cups cold water
- 2 medium yellow onions, halved lengthwise
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 cup local dry white wine
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 springs fresh thyme
In a large stockpot, combine bones and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Skim surface to remove any scum. Reduce to medium-low and stir in onions, carrots, celery, wine, peppercorns, bay leaves, cloves and thyme. Simmer, uncovered, for 3 hours.
Remove bones from stock and discard. Strain stock through a cheesecloth-lined sieve into a large bowl, pressing vegetables to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard solids. Let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until fat congeals on the surface, about 8 hours; remove and discard fat.
Make ahead: Transfer to airtight containers and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 4 months.
Makes 6 cups.