If you are feeling adventurous this summer, here is our recipe for French vanilla ice cream. Be as creative as you like, adding fruits or nuts for your own flavour combination.
One-Pot Fish Soup
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 leek (white part only), finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped fennel bulb, fronds reserved
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 9 cups Fish Stock
- 3 lbs mixed skinless white-fleshed fish fillets (such as striped bass, tilapia Pacific halibut), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 lb mussels, cleaned and debearded
- Pinch saffron threads
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
In a large stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion, leek, fennel and tomato paste, stirring to combine. Season to taste with salt and sauté until vegetables are softened, about 8 minutes.
Add wine and cook until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Add fish stock and bring to a boil. Add fish, mussels and saffron; reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until mussels have opened and fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork, about 8 minutes. Do not let boil. Discard any mussels that have not opened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Divide soup among 6 bowls and garnish each bowl with fennel fronds and 1 tbsp Garlicky Rouille (see recipe in the ETT cookbook, page 294).