These shortcakes highlight the strawberries natural flavour. We mascerate the berries, creating an easy, natural sauce.
One-Pot Fish Soup
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 leek (white part only), finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped fennel bulb, fronds reserved
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 9 cups Fish Stock
- 3 lbs mixed skinless white-fleshed fish fillets (such as striped bass, tilapia Pacific halibut), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 lb mussels, cleaned and debearded
- Pinch saffron threads
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
In a large stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion, leek, fennel and tomato paste, stirring to combine. Season to taste with salt and sauté until vegetables are softened, about 8 minutes.
Add wine and cook until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Add fish stock and bring to a boil. Add fish, mussels and saffron; reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until mussels have opened and fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork, about 8 minutes. Do not let boil. Discard any mussels that have not opened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Divide soup among 6 bowls and garnish each bowl with fennel fronds and 1 tbsp Garlicky Rouille (see recipe in the ETT cookbook, page 294).